RE: Converting character field containing hex to number

From: Steven Monaghan <MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:05:04 -0400

Try this...

CREATE OR REPLACE
FUNCTION hextodec (hexnum in char) RETURN number IS   x number;
  digits number;
  result number := 0;

  current_digit char(1);
  current_digit_dec number;
BEGIN
  digits := length(hexnum);
  for x in 1..digits loop
    current_digit := SUBSTR(hexnum, x, 1);     if current_digit in ('A','B','C','D','E','F') then       current_digit_dec := ascii(current_digit) - ascii('A') + 10;     else
      current_digit_dec := to_number(current_digit);     end if;
  result := (result * 16) + current_digit_dec;   end loop;
  return result;
END;
/

Steve

Steven Monaghan
Oracle DBA
MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.
Melville, NY
MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com
http://www.mscdirect.com

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by Received on Fri Oct 20 2000 - 12:05:04 CDT