Oracle security within VB Apps

From: Tracy Rahmlow <Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:04:43 -0500

Hi,
We currently have several vb apps that connect to oracle through a called routine. This routine has the password hardcoded to allow the connection. Our front-line users do not have access to the password to our production region, but obviously our vb developers can figure it out. How do you handle this situation? I find it hard to believe that there is not a way to encrypt the password so that the developer can not view it. If there is a 3rd party tool, how do you handle preventing a developer from from the application in a shell vb app to display the password? I appreciate any info that is provided. Note: I am a dba and have never developed a vb app, therefore there may be an obvious answer that I am unaware of. Received on Mon Oct 02 2000 - 16:04:43 CDT