RE: Oracle security within VB Apps

From: Paul van Dijken <paul.vandijken_at_sema.nl>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:40:25 +0200

Hi,
We use Oracle roles to implement security. An user is granted connect privilege, a role with just select privileges and one with update privileges. Only the select role is granted default. The update role comes with a password.
On logging into the database, the program calls an Oracle stored procedure. This procedure selects the username and an encrypted password from a table with user-info. The stored procedure decodes the password and tries to grant the update-role to the user.
The user never sees a decoded password (even when he tries to view ODBC tracing)
The developers only see the called procedure, but not the contents. The DBA only sees the encryted passwords. Only the security department and the DBA can see the encryption algorithm. You can use any encryption technique you want. When users try to login outside of the application, they only have select privileges. (You can suppress this too). For more information, see the manuals on roles.

Paul

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 02:40:25 CDT