Re: 3 disks in ONE volume or 3 vols for each disk ?

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:26:35 +0100

Hi !

I guess you are talking about RAID05 (or RAID 0) ? In anycase you don't have control over datafile placements.

In this case your asumption is right and if you have only these three disks (and if you place your redologs on that) the database will be :)

But coming back to identifying the hot table is not that difficult (you can look for dbfile_scattered/sequential read stats). Tuning is almost impossible in your case.

Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Bangalore, INDIA

> List,
> i have been asked to suggest the placement of datafiles.
> on solaris. They have already created the volumes. For datafiles
> there's a big volume of 27GB, there are 3 Hdisks in that volume.
> I asked them to give me FIVE separate volumes to place the datafiles,
> but they say that using one big volume will strip the data and will be
> more faster etc...
> my question is... how will be identify a hot block/table on ONE big volume
?

> as we dont have any control where our datafile is place , right ?
> and we will NOT have the option of moving the file also ..
>
> so..which one is better.. one BIG vol. or 3 small volumes mapping directly
> each hdisks.
>
> TIA
>
> Rahul
>

> --------
> If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com
(updated daily)
> to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
> to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. Received on Tue Sep 12 2000 - 10:26:35 CDT