Re: Off Topic: SQL-Backtrack

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:52:44 -0700 (PDT)

> Is there any benefit to having SQL-Backtrack keep (rename) the archive
> logs after backup instead of deleting them?

There may be a benefit if you need those logs online to fulfill SLA requirements, otherwise I don't see much benefit in it.

> After switching to archivelog mode, is a full online backup sufficient,
> or for safety should I do a full cold backup?
>
> For some databases, there isn't a regular window that can be used for
> cold backups, so only full on-line daily backups will be done. Any
> problem with this strategy?

The usual cold vs. hot backup arguments would apply. A hot backup should be fine. There are certain situations where a cold backup is necessary, such as after opening with RESETLOGS.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private Received on Wed Jul 05 2000 - 15:52:44 CDT