RE: Real world OCP

From: Shockey, David <DShockey_at_jwrinc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:00:29 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFE10A.E2C9E80E

        charset="iso-8859-1"

The good solutions to professional certification are too expensive. I think that engineers have the most practical system. To become a professional engineer you must

  1. have an engineering degree,
  2. pass the engineer-in-training exam,
  3. have three years engineering experience if your degree is from an accredited school or five years if not accredited,
  4. pass the professional engineer exam.

Therefore, you must pass tests (bogus though they may be) and have some experience in the field. But all that you really gain besides the prestige is the right to "put your shingle up", sign certain documents, and approve the work of engineers who don't have their PE. The end result then is that you have the equivalent qualifications in your field of a lawyer who has passed the bar exam or an accountant who has passed their CPA exams.

None of this excuses one from being competant at one's work.

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

(just like a few years</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>back everyone wanted to be a CNE), Microsoft has = generated these complex,</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>tricky exams that are starting to look more like IQ = tests to try to weed out</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>unqualified candidates.&nbsp; Intelligence is = important, but intelligent people</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>can get bored and forget to do routine work, which = is important for database</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>administration.&nbsp; There would have to be a = proper balance between practical</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>training and testing for the professional status to = be valid.</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Could Oracle Corp. be convinced of dropping or = fortifying the OCP training</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>program?&nbsp; Maybe they could make it a = requirement that training centers</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>provide a practicum, some kind of internship like = what doctors have to go</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>through.&nbsp; Maybe there should be two:&nbsp; 6 = months as the equivalent of a DBO,</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>then a year later, 6 months as a junior DBA = somewhere with real</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>responsibilities.&nbsp; Some kind of coop = program.</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Oracle would have to build partnerships with = corporations willing to take in</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>trainees, that means Oracle would have to pay these = companies in exchange</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for training that meets some standards.&nbsp; = </FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Certainly more work for Oracle's education = division!</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>But it just might prove worthwhile, Oracle has an = interest in ensuring that</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the people operating their software are competent = and reliable.&nbsp; I remember</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>reading somewhere that DBA error is the most common = cause of downtime and</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>prolongs recovery time.</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just a few thoughts.</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Patrice Boivin</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Systems Admin &amp; Operations | Admin. et Exploit. = des syst=E8mes</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Technology = Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Services = technologiques</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Informatics = Branch&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Direction de = l'informatique </FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Maritimes Region, DFO&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; = | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca &lt;<A = HREF=3D"mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca">mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.= ca</A>&gt; </FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Ph: (902) 426-4774</FONT> </P> <BR> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>-----Original Message-----</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>From:&nbsp;&nbsp; Gait, Christopher = [SMTP:cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil]</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>Sent:&nbsp;&nbsp; Wednesday, June 28, 2000 1:04 AM</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>To:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Multiple recipients of list = ORACLE-L</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RE: Real = world OCP</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm only = part of the way along the DBA OCP path (I'm technically OCP</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>because</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I passed = the incredibly lame DBO exam, but have three more tests to</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>go on</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>DBA). I = have found so far that the parts of the exam I know best are</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>ones I've = done at work or on my own Linux box at home. Those are the</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>questions = where you don't even think about the answer, like: 'how do</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>you</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>change = the block size of a database?' </FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I think = the idea of OCP is excellent. I think the implementation</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>sucks.</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Oracle = seems to be imitating Microsoft in its model for testing</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(lots of</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>tests, = expensive, rote memorization, lots of stress on things the</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>software</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>company = is trying to sell, such as the ludicrous stress on lock</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>manager in</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>the DBO = exam).</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>What we = need is to work from within IOUG-A to establish a system</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>like the</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>one used = to prepare doctors. There should be training programs, case</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>studies, = internships and most importantly: board certification. A</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>person</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>should = not be permitted to be an enterprise DBA without either</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>showing that</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>they = already have the experience to prove their ability or have gone</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>through</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>a = grueling internship culminating in a battery of written and</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>hands-on tests</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>and a = committee examination. That way when an employer demands (as</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>they all</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>do) that = a DBA have 3+ years experience, a board certified DBA can</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>show them</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>the names = of 3-5 enterprise DBA's who will vouch for him/her.</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Is this a = realistic idea? No, not particularly, but then the</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>conversion from</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>the = part-time barbers/part-time doctors of the nineteenth century</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>who</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>accepted = chickens as payment to our golf-playing, mansion dwelling</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>modern</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>medicos = did happen, and a lot of it came from organizations of</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>doctors</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>themselves.</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>End of = daydream.</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>-----Original Message-----</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: = Tuesday, June 27, 2000 5:32 AM</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>To: = Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT> </P> <BR> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I've seen = a number of threads at various stages about whether OCP is</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>of any</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>real = practical value.&nbsp; For example some have expressed the point = of</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>view</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>that it's = a memory test and whilst it's fine to know the theoery</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>practical</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>experience is significant too.&nbsp; I don't know how many = OCP's actively</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>take</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>part on = this list but it occured to me that with the range of</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>problems being</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>posted = here that a possible good validation of OCP, possibly</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>especially for</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>those who = &quot;crash coursed&quot; it is to see how many of the problems</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>posted you</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>can = answer.....&nbsp; It's kinda easier when they're not your problems = ;)</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Of course = the Oracle product is expanding and there are now OCPs for</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>various</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>areas but = I think the principle still applies.&nbsp; For the past few</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>weeks, when</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I've had = time, I've been looking a questions posted and trying to</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>see if I</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>can = answer them, comparing my attempts with those posted.&nbsp; It's = a</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>bit of fun</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>and also = a real eyer opener about my lack of knowledge, or</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>misunderstood POV</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>in many = cases.&nbsp; Thanks to all who share knowledge on the list!!! </FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Any OCP's = on the list care to share how well they do at answering</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>questions</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>posted = and for background whether they &quot;crashed coursed&quot; or = got</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>certification there after X years of on the job = experience?.</FONT> </P> <BR> <BR> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Sean = :)</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>######&nbsp;&nbsp; ######&nbsp; ######&nbsp; ###### </FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; = #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; Rookie</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>####&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; = ######&nbsp; ######&nbsp; Data</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>#&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; = #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; Base </FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; #######&nbsp; ######&nbsp; = #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #&nbsp; Adminstrator</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>-------------------------------- ------------ </FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Organon =
(Ireland) Ltd.</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>E-mail: = sean.oneill_at_organon.ie&nbsp;&nbsp; [subscribed: Digest Mode]</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>The only = man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>anything.</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=3D2> - = Theodore Roosevelt</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Author: = Gait, Christopher</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; = INET: cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil</FONT> </P> <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Fat City = Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) 538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) = 538-5051</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>San = Diego, California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public = Internet access / Mailing</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Lists</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT = SIZE=3D2>---------------------------------------------------------------= -----</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>To REMOVE = yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>to: = ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>the = message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>(or the = name of mailing list you want to be removed from).&nbsp; You may</FONT> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>also send = the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Author: Boivin, Patrice J</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca</FONT> </P> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) = 538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>San Diego, = California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public Internet =