Re: OEM 2.1 vs. BMC Patrol

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 06:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1804289383-961768130=:13309

AFAIK OEM still only manages ORACLE. Patrol manages both database, O/S, and applications. For example OEM might tell you that your buffer cache hit ratio is great, but overall performance could suck because the o/s is swapping out the wazoo. OEM won't pick that up but Patrol will. You can write your own perl/shell scripts for Patrol to monitor pretty much anything. OEM on the other hand can be used to schedule Oracle jobs and also has a nice "who's on call when" scheduler that can be set up to only page the DBA during off hours and email him/her during working hours. I don't think Patrol has any of this built in. I think they both have their places and even on the same machine. Savant is a tool I use a lot (and wouldnt' want to be without). Whenever I get a call that performance is bad or something is hanging it's the first thing I fire up. I can usually identify the problem within a minute or two, because it shows everything at a glance. It also stores trend information so that the measurements you look at are actually meaningful. Is 5000 i/o's per minute what's slowing down your users? How do you know unless you know how much i/o is usually going on? Or what it was like yesterday at this time. On some instances that would be cause for alarm. On others it might be very light.   Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com> wrote:
Damagement is keen on acquiring some DBA tools. The current tools being considered are BMC Patrol and OEM. We are strictly a Sun/Oracle/Apache shop and don't need cross platform support. Any white papers or comparisons of OEM 2.1 vs. BMC Patrol?

I've been burned by OEM 1.X in the past but have been pleasingly surprised by OEM 2.1. I set it up on a Sun pizza box for the Management Server tier and I use Windoze NT for the client tier. It performs well (despite Windoze) and has lots of functionality. Looks like Oracle has FINALLY come through with a viable release of OEM! (We're using the Diagnostics and Performance Packs with the Replication and InterMedia Text Managers.)

After briefly reviewing BMC's site, I'm seeing a lot more functionality with OEM. Is there ANY functionality in BMC Patrol that OEM does not have? For that matter, is there any important functionality in any of the other tools (Savant, Embarcadero, Quest, etc.) which is missing from OEM 2.1?

It's time to re-evaluate the offerings... any feedback is greatly appreciated.

TIA!!!
Steve Orr

The biggest investment is my time and the dollar cost of software is small potatoes by comparison.

Author: Steve Orr
INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com

--0-1804289383-961768130=:13309

<P>AFAIK OEM still only manages ORACLE.&nbsp;Patrol manages both database, O/S, and applications. For example&nbsp;OEM might tell you that your buffer cache hit ratio is great, but overall performance could suck because the o/s is swapping out the wazoo. OEM won't pick that up but Patrol will. You can write your own perl/shell scripts for Patrol to monitor pretty much anything.
<P>OEM on the other hand can be used to schedule Oracle jobs and also has a nice "who's on call when" scheduler that can be set up to only page the DBA during off hours and email him/her during working hours. I don't think Patrol has any of this built in.
<P>I think they both have their places and even on the same machine.
<P>Savant is a tool I use a lot (and wouldnt' want to be without). Whenever I get a call that performance is bad or something is hanging it's the first thing I fire up. I can usually identify the problem within a minute or two, because it shows everything at a glance. It also stores trend information so that the measurements you look at are actually meaningful. Is 5000 i/o's per minute what's slowing down your users? How do you know unless you know how much i/o is usually going on? Or what it was like yesterday at this time. On some instances that would be cause for alarm. On others it might be very light.
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>Steve Orr &lt;sorr_at_arzoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Damagement is keen on acquiring some DBA tools. The current tools being<BR>considered are BMC Patrol and OEM. We are strictly a Sun/Oracle/Apache shop<BR>and don't need cross platform support. Any white papers or comparisons of<BR>OEM 2.1 vs. BMC Patrol?<BR><BR>I've been burned by OEM 1.X in the past but have been pleasingly surprised<BR>by OEM 2.1. I set it up on a Sun pizza box for the Management Server tier<BR>and I use Windoze NT for the client tier. It performs well (despite Windoze)<BR>and has lots of functionality. Looks like Oracle has FINALLY come through<BR>with a viable release of OEM! (We're using the Diagnostics and Performance<BR>Packs with the Replication and InterMedia Text Managers.)<BR><BR>After briefly reviewing BMC's site, I'm seeing a lot more functionality with<BR>OEM. Is there ANY functionality in BMC Patrol that OEM does not have? For<BR>that matter, is there any imp!