OEM 2.1 vs. BMC Patrol

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:17:03 -0700

Damagement is keen on acquiring some DBA tools. The current tools being considered are BMC Patrol and OEM. We are strictly a Sun/Oracle/Apache shop and don't need cross platform support. Any white papers or comparisons of OEM 2.1 vs. BMC Patrol?

I've been burned by OEM 1.X in the past but have been pleasingly surprised by OEM 2.1. I set it up on a Sun pizza box for the Management Server tier and I use Windoze NT for the client tier. It performs well (despite Windoze) and has lots of functionality. Looks like Oracle has FINALLY come through with a viable release of OEM! (We're using the Diagnostics and Performance Packs with the Replication and InterMedia Text Managers.)

After briefly reviewing BMC's site, I'm seeing a lot more functionality with OEM. Is there ANY functionality in BMC Patrol that OEM does not have? For that matter, is there any important functionality in any of the other tools (Savant, Embarcadero, Quest, etc.) which is missing from OEM 2.1?

It's time to re-evaluate the offerings... any feedback is greatly appreciated.

TIA!!!
Steve Orr

The biggest investment is my time and the dollar cost of software is small potatoes by comparison. Received on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 20:17:03 CDT