RE: RedBrick vs Oracle

From: Wasserman, Sara <sjwasserman_at_pscnet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:32:59 -0700

I worked on a Redbrick data warehouse a few years ago. It was very satisfactory as a DW. Now that Informix has purchased it I don't know where it has gone, but it seems to me that it is still a DW dbms. I wouldn't try to do OLTP on it.

Redbrick is SQL-compliant now, but wasn't when they first designed it. It had partitioning and star schemas long before Oracle thought of them (I still think RB's partitioning was easier to use than Oracle's is now).

You can (or at least used to be able to) run other people's DSS tools (query tools) against an RB data warehouse. Redbrick itself is pretty fast at loading and retrieval, as long as the queries are designed correctly (still never seen a query tool that could generate efficient SQL consistently).

HTH,
Sara Wasserman