Re: help unix crashed

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:43:12 +0100

"Gopal , Umesh" wrote:

> My system, sun solaris + oracle 8i crashed, stopped responding. I shut off
> the power.
> On the reboot a prompt file system is corrupt run fsck manually on disk
> slice.
> My root shell is on the corrupt slice, how else can I log on as root and fix
> this problem ?

Do you mean that the root partition is corrupt, or that /usr is? The root user on Solaris should *always* have a shell of /sbin/sh for the reason that /sbin lives on / so you can start the shell without /usr mounted for the libraries.

In your situation, I would boot off the CD or across the network, change the root shell, then try again. Once you are in, run fsck (file system check) on the corrupt slice (which sounds from your description like it's /usr or /opt). You will probably have to do this more than once. If it asks you whether to repair a block, just say yes. It is important to know that it is recovering the file system, not the files - which means, at the end you will have restored the integrity if UFS, but you may still have some corrupt contents in your files. In the /usr/lost+found directory, you will find files from directory entries that have been corrupted, which you can mv back to their rightful place if they're intact.

When you say Solaris crashed, you mean a kernel panic, right? Cos if only Oracle crashed and you switched off the power, that would be bad. A common cause of kernel panics on Solaris is a hardware fault with something connected to the bus.

Cheers,

(who is *not* the SA :0) )

--
guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.