Re: How much Unix?

From: Kresimir Fabijanic <kresimir_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:45:19 +1000

Dear Mr. Majestic

In my experience, as a DBA, you go with what you get from your System Admin (and I have seen some pretty ordinary installations of Unix - like no man pages etc.). On one place I worked for a while, they had everything, and when I say everything, I mean it. Place used to run C shell scripts, Korn shell scripts, Bourne shell scripts ane Pearl scripts (the rest of the back end is unbelievable too - Pro*C, Pro*C++, modular SQL, PL/SQL) and from what I gathered, it was not done by design or choice, but each back-end developer liked a certain flavour, or wanted to learn a certain language, he was quite welcome to use it.

On other place they did not have any shells installed except Korn, so you did not have any choice.

IMHO, C shell and Korn shell will cover at least 90% of Unix market. Of course, you will need to learn platform and version specific system commands, and you will have to play with manuals for your environment.

Anyway, I believe that shell scripting should not be a major problem. Once you figure out variable substitution and regular expressions, you should be OK.

HTH Kresimir Fabijanic