RE: How much Unix?

From: Glen Braden <g.a.braden_at_larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:08:39 -0400

I think that our SA sometimes forgets, that the reason we have the box is to run Oracle. There were at least two occasions where I needed to use this list to find out how to change the UNIX side of the system, because our SA takes a "I didn't change anything in with the system so it's you problem" approach.

At 07:00 AM 6/13/00 -0800, you wrote:
>In my opnion, a DBA( who support Oracle on Unix) should have at least an
>entry level of System Administrator's knowledge about Unix. The more the
>better. I have seen and heard about too many DBA waste a lot of time
>trouble shooting because they don't know enough about Unix or was
>misinformed by their SAs. Some times it's best to take matter into your
>own hands instead of relying too much on the SA.
>
>Richard Ji

Glen A Braden                  g.a.braden_at_larc.nasa.gov
DBA                                 gbraden_at_visi.net
                                         ICQ#33298579
(757) 865-8440 x130          http://sun1misb.larc.nasa.gov/bamis/
(757) 865-6426 Fax           ADABAS 6.2.1 NATURAL 2.2.8++ TRIM 6.1.0
NCI Information Systems   SUPERNATURAL 3.1.5 MVS/OS 390 CICS 4.3
                                        ORACLE 6 (don't Ask), ORACLE 7,