Re[2]: Oracle Support Services

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:55:46 -0400

Well, I for one will not bash anyone on the list who has "nasty" things t= o say
about OTS. They've had me on hold for longer than I care to remember man= y times
and they've given me many a bull *&^% answer as well. But they also have=  come
through when the real heat has been on. Case in point, This morning I'm=  trying
to install the 8.1.6.1.1 patch set on one of our HP-UX boxes. The instal= ler
yaks fur ball on $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk. Hey, no problem, I= 've
seen this type of error before, normally means that /tmp is full. Ran th= e make
command manually & it complained about "not knowing how to make skgxpd.o"= =2E Now
that's a new one. Called OTS, did not have time to wait on Metalink. Go= t an
analyst in about 5 minutes (not bad HUH!!). Describe the problem, he ask= s me to
hold (OK, here goes the day), he came back in about 3 minutes (something = wrong
here). He asks me to run the following in a separate window from the ins= taller:

    make -f $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ind_rdbms.mk sdo_off iroacle

Bingo, it works. He then instructs me to tell the installer to ignore th= e error
& continue on my way (OK, this picture does NOT smell right). And he's r= ight!! =

Total time on the phone, about 15 minutes.

Seems that in 8.1.5 they introduced a bug (something MicroSoft claims nev= er to
do) that had the make file assume that the Spatial Data Option was instal= led and
turned on. The fix is to relink Oracle with spatial data turned off (sdo= _off)
and then forever after it will remember. Hint form OTS, do the make comm= and on
all other instances of 8.1.6 where SDO was not installed before applying = further
patches.

Subject: Re: Oracle Support Services
Author: =3D?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=3D20stephane?=3D <stephane_paquette_at_yah= oo.com>
Date: 6/8/00 12:56 AM

Unfortunately, its Oracle's direction to have almost all support done with metalink.
I've received several mail from Oracle about seminars on how to used metalink.

2 months ago, we have escalated a couple of tars to upper management at Oracle. Oracle's answer was to send a sales guy to sell us gold support (we have silver). =

It's easy to think that in the future phone support will have an extra cost.

> have to do is go on metalink, create a tar, get your
> tar#, and that =

> allows you to shortcut the phone entry point if you
> want to talk to =

> someone about the issue?
> ep
> =

> On 7 Jun 2000, at 17:54, Bill Wagman scribbled with
> alacrity and cogency:
> =

> Date sent: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 17:54:56 -0800
> To: Multiple recipients of list
> ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Send reply to: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
> =

> > =

> > After waiting on the phone to support for an
> inordinate amount of time I =

> > jokingly asked the support rep if they had been
> told not to answer the =

> > phone for 30 minutes in an attempt to encourage
> people to log TARs via =

> > metalink. He said that yes, in fact, they had.
> =

> -- =

> Author: Eric D. Pierce
> INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu
> =

> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California -- Public Internet
> access / Mailing Lists

> E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of
> 'ListGuru') and in
> ORACLE-L
> from). You may
> (like subscribing).

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com
spaquette_at_houra.fr
(33) 01 53 93 06 50

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com
-- =

Author: =3D?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=3D20stephane?=3D   INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 09:55:46 CDT