Re: Your frank opinion

From: Deepak Sharma <sharmakdeep_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:31:05 -0700 (PDT)

Joe,

Absolutely true. Knowledge is what we get paid for. This has been my experience too regd the work I have been doing, (esp. Physical DBA).

However, what I don't understand is when people talk about supporting 10 peoplesoft databases, what exactly do they do. My current client has Peoplesoft financial and Order management applications which total upto 12 databases in all. Apart from that I am also supporting non-peoplesoft databases (4). All I do daily is check my email for any outstanding user requests, check the Alert logs, run DB monitoring scripts against select few databases etc. Apart from this daily activity, there are adhoc requests to refresh test from prod, fix database errors and so on. This has been the case with most of the clients I'd been working with. Now, my question to the (Physical) DBAs is, what extra stuff they do regularly to come with 40+ Hrs per week.

My formula for 40 Hrs:

2 Hrs Regular DB support +
2 Hrs Email & Web Browsing +
1 Hr Lunch +
1 Hr Phone +
2 Hrs Self Study = Daily 8 Hrs

I know people who genuinely work 40+ Hrs, but most of the fellow DBAs I know spend lot of time doing nothing concrete. How else could they participate in the stock market ?