Re: Archivelog

From: Kimberly Smith <KSMITH1_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>
Date: 06 Jun 2000 08:37:52 -0700

--=_ORCL_6414354_0r0

Looking at his statement it looks like archiving is on. There are a couple of things to try. Maybe there really shouldn't be any archives yet. In other
words you haven't modified enough data to fill out a log yet. Force a switc= h
on your logs and see what happens.

Another thing is that in different versions of Oracle on different operating systems part of the destination actually becomes part of the format. So in you case check the oradata4/dbs_prod/dbarchlog directory. It will sometimes take that last part and use it as a prefix to the file name. If this is you= r
case you can force it to the proper directory by putting a '/' at the end of the directory name.

Kimberly Smith
EDS/Fujitsu
Gresham, Oregon
Work: 503-669-6050
Email: kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com

        kimberly.smith_at_eds.com

--=_ORCL_6414354_0r0

content-type:message/rfc822

Date: 06 Jun 2000 04:39:14
From:"Gurgaon, DBA (CAP, GECSI, CONTRACTOR)" <DBA.Gurgaon_at_geind.GE.com> To:Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L> Subject:RE: Archivelog
Reply-to:UNIX.IOGMD:ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com Return-Path:root_at_fatcity.cts.com

Received:from gmd.fujitsu.com (ducks.gmd.fujitsu.com [198.6.119.2]) by hdoc02.gmd.fujitsu.com with SMTP (8.7.1/8.7.1) id DAA10742 for <ksmith1.ofcmail_at_hdbi01>; Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:54:58 -0700 (PDT)
Received:from fujitsuI.fujitsu.com by gmd.fujitsu.com (SMI-8.6/) id DAA07726; Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:54:57 -0700
Received:from fujitsuI.fujitsu.com (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by fujitsuI.fujitsu.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id DAA26940 for <ksmith1_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>; Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
Received:from newsfeed.cts.com (newsfeed.cts.com [209.68.192.199]) by fujitsuI.fujitsu.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id DAA26936 for <ksmith1_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>; Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
Received:from fatcity.UUCP (uucp_at_localhost) by newsfeed.cts.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with UUCP id DAA83789; Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
Received:by fatcity.com (04-May-2000/v1.0f-b69/bab) via UUCP id 001720DF; Tue, 06 Jun 2000 03:39:14 -0800

Check the parameters
log_archive_start=true
log_archive_dest=/oradata4/dbs_prod/dbarchlog/arch

are set and enabled in your init<sid>.ora file

then from your svrmgr prompt

svrmgr>connect internal
svrmgr>startup mount
svrmgr> alter database archivelog
svrmgr> archive log start
svrmgr> alter database open

This will make your archiving on

Vikas

Author: Weerd de E.C. Kirsten
  INET: Kirsten.deWeerd_at_Oranjewoud.nl

Author: Gurgaon, DBA (CAP, GECSI, CONTRACTOR)
  INET: DBA.Gurgaon_at_geind.GE.com

--=_ORCL_6414354_0r0--
------------------------------ From: Bruce Bergman <bbergman_at_BridgeMedical.com> Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:38:02 -0700 Subject: Re: Mailing List Vipul, The mailing list you mentioned is for Developer 2000 topics, hence the name "-DEV2K". Perhaps you meant to tell Pallav of the more appropriate mailing list named ODTUG-SQLPLUS-L, which covers PL/SQL in addition to SQL*Plus topics. Also, you cannot join a mailing list by sending mail to the list itself. All that happens is that your message is rejected and returned to you. The correct instruction to join a mailing list is send an E-mail to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com And in the message BODY, put: SUB ODTUG-SQLPLUS-L Pallav Kalva That will get you on the list. Vipul, please check your facts before posting incorrect information, as it causes a lot of people to get confused and ultimately ask me for help anyhow. thanks, bruce ListMaster_at_fatcity.com -------Original Message---------- From: Vipul Mukund Shah <vipul.shah_at_almarai.com> Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:25:48 +0300 Subject: RE: Mailing List Hi Pallav send a subscription mail to ODTUG-DEV2K-L_at_fatcity.com <mailto:ODTUG-DEV2K-L_at_fatcity.com> Regards, VMS -----Original Message----- From: Pallav Kalva [SMTP:pallav_at_starmedia.net] Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 12:58 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Mailing List Hi, Does anyone know any good mailing lists for Oracle PL/SQL developers ?? If so, can you please send me the url. Thanks! Pallav ------------------------------ From: "Deshpande, Kirti" <Kirti.Deshpande_at_gtedc.gte.com> Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:39:42 -0500 Subject: RE: Cloning Oracle8i I am using Transporatable Tablespaces to share/copy data between two test/development databases with success. We would soon begin using it in Production dataabses as well. However, I have not yet tried to clone the entire database in this way. May be it is a good idea. But I haven't found a need to do it that way. - Kirti > -----Original Message----- > From: Anthony Keller [SMTP:akeller_at_sctcorp.com] > Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 10:10 AM > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L > Subject: Cloning Oracle8i > > Hi, > > I got only one response to my previous question about using the new