Past posts, Metalink, partitioning

From: Jain, Akshay <Akshay.Jain_at_cit.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 18:38:37 -0400

Three questions folks:

  1. I am about to ask a question probably asked before. Is there a web page like there was before for all past posts?
  2. Does metalink now suck or what? e.g. search for "OFA architecture".
  3. The biggy: What specifically is the usage of partitioning? I believe it is an excellent technique for managing OLTP environments. Concurrent access to large tables get segragated to different physical partitions. Backup is eased by taking individual partitions offline for backup. Queries can go at different disks for full scans by partition. But in an environment where I am creating an OLAP sub-data-warehouse, read-only, one CPU host, can I go ahead and ignore partitioning?

Thank you knowledgeable ones.

Akshay Jain

Newcourt-CIT
Tel. (416) 507-5385