Re: Your frank opinion

From: Joseph S. Testa <teci_at_oracle-dba.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 17:09:02 -0400

Deepak, my latest job, i have to agree with you, most weeks its less than 40, rarely ts more than 40.

reason that i've come to conclusion is this:

they pay me for what i know, not necessarily what i do, knowledge is power(and money these days).

they catch is this: dont get stale, read the new documentation when it comes out, buy books, read them and stay on top of the new stuff.

Here is a prime example:

  while at IOUG-A in may, i was paged about a partitioned table, they wanted to move rows between the partitions(ie: change the key value), by dafault you can't do that, so they were panicked enough to potentially, unload millions of rows, change the key value during the unload, truncate the table, and reload all the data.

I was studying for 8i OCP exam and had just read about alter table <table_name> enable row movement;

by default row movment is disabled.

so they pay me for what I know :)

my 2 cents worth.

joe