RE: dictionary misses

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 06:58:23 +1000

Hi Ruth,

It depends on whether you use synonyms.
If you don't use ANY synonyms, then hit rates of 99% can be seen. If you do, then the hit rates can be very low.

Note also that it is the library cache hit rate that you should focus on, not the dictionary cache one. The dictionary cache is used merely to load the library cache if you get a miss there.
(OK, that's an over-statement because it ignores the locking functionality, but you get the idea).

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/