RE: database contention and wait, are they the same?

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 06:50:05 +1000

Hi Kam,

There are some waits that are routine (such as those associated with commits), but most non-idle waits reflect some sort of contention.

Just increasing the concurrency may help a little, or it may hurt, depending on the type of waiting. If it is disk contention, then it will probably help a little; if it were latch contention then it would certainly hurt.

Of course, you should really find out what you are waiting for and fix the problem. While increasing the concurrency may help to reduce the overall run time slightly in the immediate term, it will only do so at a considerable cost in increased CPU usage, and you can only play that game for a very short time. What will happen when your business grows and you have to process twice the number of bills? Don't just thinks waits and performance; think scalability, or you are bound to have the same problem come back to haunt you in a few months time.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/