Buying Hardware for a new Oracle Server

From: Johnson, Dave <djoh_at_DICTAPHONE.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:54:00 -0500

I need to write a purchase request for hardware to host a new Oracle Enterprise database server.

It must run on a Windows NT platform, due to the availability of other software that interacts with the Oracle Server.

About the data:

  I have a database that describes (currently) about 60,000 engineering documents. Each document has one or more revisions. Each revision has at least 5 signatures, and depending on the document type, up to a couple of thousand line items. The total schema consists of about 100 tables.

I have the choice of a single processor 200mhz P6, or a dual Pentium 166mhz for the base
system.

Which would give me better performance?

What should I consider for disk drives? A RAID Array, or Multiple Hard Drives, or what?
Performance, and Data Integrity are very big issues, and we don't have the experience here to answer my questions?

Any Help would be appreciated.

  David Johnson Received on Mon Feb 12 1996 - 15:00:58 CST