Re: OFA

From: William D. Saxton <William.D.Saxton_at_CDC.COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 10:29:20 -0600

CLAP - CLAP - CLAP - CLAP - CLAP - CLAP! On of the inherent problems with Open systems and highly scalable RDBMS solutions has always been the lack of enforced standards. We have all experienced the pandemonium that can cause. Moving a base into the OFA structure is indeed a tedious task. One not embraced by clients who 'have always done it this way'. It was surprising to me when the 7.2.2 release no longer used the ORACLE_BASE setting to build an OFA base. I felt Oracle was moving toward enforcing this structure.

I wonder why they stopped? Does anyone know if the IOUG has addressed Oracle Corp. on this issue?

>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:52:07 EST
>Sender: "ORACLE database mailing list." <ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu>
>From: Joseph Diosana <101612.2145_at_COMPUSERVE.COM>
>Subject: Re: OFA
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu>
>
>Bill,
>
>I would strongly suggest that you make OFA a standard. The benefits are
>inherent (see White Papers by Cary Millsap (93-94 IOUW)) and back issues of
>ORACLE Magazine. As I move from client site to client site, it is relieving to
>be able to find the location of files when the standard is consistent (or near
>consistent) with OFA.
>
>Aside from the benefit of being able to locate files is the ease of
>administration, both from the backup standpoint and increasing database size.
>The backup is a one line command (in Unix) and adding a new datafile will not
>impact the backup scripts.
>
>>From a performance tuning standpoint, you will be able to easily identify hot
>spots since the tablespaces created are grouped logically, by segment type.
>(e.g. ROLLBACK, SYSTEM, TEMPorary, DATA, INDEX, TOOLS, USERS)
>
>Any audits by outside Oracle consultants performed often will review on how the
>configuration compares to OFA.
>
>As far as whether or not 7.3 installer will be configure to build based on the
>OFA structure, that is yet to be determined. However, post-initial install
of a
>new RDBMS version, I usually create a new database with a set of scripts so
>setup is straightforward.
>
>Joe Diosana
>National ProSource
>email: jdiosana_at_nettap.com, 101612,2145_at_compuserve.com

  William D. Saxton             | email: w.d.saxton_at_cdc.com
  Oracle Products Consultant    | phone: 800-345-6628/612-482-3555
  Worldwide Support Services    | fax:   612-482-3988
  Control Data Systems, Inc.    | http://www.cdc.com/support