Re: BIG sizes in real life, how to know ahead of time

From: Bruce Pihlamae <bpihlama_at_NLA.GOV.AU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:44:00 +0000

> I'm looking for documentation/references/ideas/real-life experiences on
> sizing,
> capacity planning, and layout of large Oracle systems - meaning 25 Gigabytes
> of data or more.
>
> Included in this would be: sizing redo logs,

If its a low update environment then 3-4 small ones (say 4Meg)

If its a high update environment then 4-10 large'ish ones (say 20-40Meg)

> rollbacks,

If its a small transaction update environment then LOTS of small ones (say 40k + 40K with minextents of 50 and optimal of 200K AND at least one big one for your large table/index rebuilds at 100M + 100M built to fill its own private tablespace with no optimal).

If its a large transaction update environment then you will need a few big ones as described above.

> temp tablespace,
> estimating the volume of archived redo logs (how are people doing this?)

I've alocated a 1Gig disk as a staging area and a regular (CRON) job batches it up and writes it to cartridge. Had to do this because we can't tie up a tape drive just for archiving redo logs. I think 1Gig may be too small for our site but time will tell.

> backup strategies,

HOT Backups are crucial to continued availability and management of your backup windows BUT also schedule a 1-3 monthly COLD backup as well..

> etc. In other words - the things that can get neglected if one thinks they
> are done once
> the tables and indexes have been sized.

Ask me again in 2 months once we've got our 100G+ db running. :)

Bruce...

   T T T T T T T T        Bruce Pihlamae
   I I I I I I I I        bpihlama_at_nla.gov.au
   I I I I I I I I        National Library of Australia
   T T T T T T T T        Phone: +616 262-1480
  -----------------       Fax:   +616 273-2116

 "If you swallow a live frog first thing in the morning;   nothing worse will happen to either of you that day." Received on Tue Jan 23 1996 - 18:59:00 CST