SQLNet and SPX/IPX

From: Oracle Dba <oracldba_at_CDSYS.NRC.CA>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 08:52:13 EST

I am curious to find out how many of you are using the SPX/IPX feature of SQLNet v1 or V2.

For political, hardware reasons we are forced to use both the IPX and IP protocols of SQLNet v1 and v2. The troubles I have encountered with SPX/IPX are maddening to say the least. Most of our installations are done on HPUX9.04 and recently HPUX10. Both features for v1 work OK on HPUX9.04. We have temporarily given up on SQLNet v2 for HPUX9.04 again because of the SPX/IPX problems.(mostly looping, therefore hanging)

Presently, I am trying to install Oracle 7.1.6 (certified for Unix 9 & 10) on HPUX10 and even the
installation phase is wrong when dealing with SQLNet v1, v2. The installation is looking for directories and files associated with Unix 9.04. I have had to do workarounds to please the install. For instance, I had to "touch libstr.a" in the /usr/lib directory because the install expects that file to be there. Once that was done and the install completed, I was unable to "spxctl start" the listener process because if expects an "npsd" process to exist. The "npsd" process by name is a Unix 9.04 process name. On Unix 10.0 it is running under an alias name.

Seems to me that the Oracle people have not thoroughly checked out their SQLNet product for both protocols on UX10. And we are PAYING for this defective product and all the aggravations associated with it.

At this point, I am only looking for sympathy and envy those of you that use the IP feature only.

I will however have my revenge.

We will be hiring an Oracle "expert" on, among other things, UX10 primarily to install Financials. He will be getting an earful from me and I hope will be able to clean up this mess. Received on Fri Jan 12 1996 - 09:37:46 CST