Re: Oracle and Excel -Reply

From: Tribble Dave <DLT3716_at_KCPL.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:48:00 PST

IF we are talking about the "get external data" menu option from excel, which brings up the MS-Query function, it does support DDL and DML , at least from the ad-hoc SQL button function in MS-Query. You can enter about anything you'd like in this.
There's a rather large security hole with this as well (as of 1 year ago at least):
If you check on the option to keep username/password in the spreadsheet, you can use a text editor on the spreadsheet to find these entries. Also, if the spread sheet is passed to another user, that user could startup MS Query and, via the ad-hoc SQL option, potentially wreak havoc on tables accessible by the Oracle UserID/passwd in question. If this has changed, please feel free to reply, but I would do some testing with this ability to know what your users may be up to.... dlt3716_at_kcpl.com

From: owner-oracle-l
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Re: Oracle and Excel -Reply
Date: Mon, Jan 8, 1996 10:32AM

I recommend that you bypass the query add in and use ODBC calls directly from a macro. The query add-in is a bit flaky when running multiple queries. It does support any SQL statment, DDL and DML. Received on Mon Jan 08 1996 - 13:04:54 CST