Re: Number of Datafiles

From: Jon Lim <LIM_at_DTPAX2.NCIFCRF.GOV>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 01:39:44 -0500

>Hi Oracle-ites,
> Wish you a very very happy new year.
> In our database, I found out that the number of existing datafiles
>is 30. Now every time I try to add a new datafile, I get an oracle error
>saying that the number of datafiles has exceeded.
> Is there a way to increase this value?
> Our environment is :
> U6000/500 - UNIX
> Oracle 7.0.12
> Thanks for any suggestion.
> BBT
Hi.

        You need to check you "Create Database" command for your database and see if you specified "maxdatafile" value to be higher than 30. If you did, you have a simple fix. You just specify maxdatafile = 100 in init.ora file.

        If your original "Create Database" command have maxdatafile of 30 or have no mention of max datafile, you need to recreate the control file or export the database, recreate the database with maxdatafile = "some high number", and import the database.

        I personally would go to the export recreate import method. This is fairly common NO-NO. Next time you create the database don't take the default maxdatafile value. If you have any questions, feel free to call or email.

                                                Jon Lim
                                                301-846-5279(in US)