Re: Exporting Directly to Tape

From: Steven Seacord <seacords_at_SOURCE.ASSET.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 11:52:56 -0500

I did not work on the actual scripts, but did take part in the design. What I believe you want to do is export to a named pipe (mkfifo) in the background. You then have another process to read from the named pipe and pipe (|) the output to the tape.

Something like this may work (we currently use this strategy to exp 'directly' to a compressed file):

mkfifo /tmp/NAMEDPIPE
exp user=userid/passwd parfile=$PARFILE file=/tmp/NAMEDPIPE & cat /tmp/NAMEDPIPE | tar -avf /dev/rmt/0mn   (check the tar command since we use the save command from networker)

Steven Seacord
Oracle DBA