Re: Full export takes too long

From: Dave Hill <HILLD_at_COUGAR.BARTON.CC.KS.US>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 16:59:34 -0500

Leng-

Might look into:
ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;  Then edit the trace file -- create the sql that will create the control file as you want it-(see notes below).
Finally as ORACLE do:
$ @ora_root:[db_instancename]orauser_instancename $ @ora_root:[db_instancename]ora_db_instancename --check your logicals----
$ sqldba lmode=y

SQLDBA> connect internal
SQLDBA> startup nomount
SQLDBA> @create_ctl  (the file you edited above)

Make sure your create_ctl has the following syntax:

CREATE CONTROLFILE
SET DATABASE instancename
LOGFILE (as from trace file)
RESETLOGS
DATAFILE (as from trace file);
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

This process has worked great for me. I use it to create a copy of the prod database to a TEST environment.

HTH,
Dave

At 07:48 AM 12/27/95 EST, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Had a good Christmas? While everyone was enjoying themselves, I had a
>control file to rebuild. Such is life of a dba...
>
>Reached maxdatafiles (default of 32 on VMS) you see. So had to recreate the
>control file. Just to be on the safe side, I did a full database export so
>that if worse comes to worse, I'd be able to recreate the database and
>import. The full database export of a 5.5gig database took 7 hours!! The
>control file recreation process itself took half an hour. And so far, the
>database looks stable (touch wood).
>
>Command: exp / log=myexp.log full=y compress=y grants=y indexes=y rows=y
>
>If it took 7 hours for a 5.5, it'll take more than 2 days to export our 20+
>gig database! So I'd like some tips on how to quicken this process.
>
>Env: VAX VMS 6.1, Oracle 7.1.3, Archive log mode
>
>TIA,
>Leng.

>Leng Kaing
>DBA - Directory Technology P/L
>Tel: +61-3-9892-9081 Fax: +61-3-9892-9344
>Email: lkaing_at_ventnds1.telecom.com.au
>WWW : http://www.vut.edu.au/~leng/oracle/voug.html

Dave Hill                                   HILLD_at_cougar.barton.cc.ks.us
DBA/Systems Analyst/Programmer
BCCC, Great Bend, KS, USA  67530                A great place to work!