Re: tns log files

From: Bambi Bellows <Bambi_Bellows_at_PO.CHI02_at_SMTPLINK.INFORES.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:54:38 EST

     Leng --

     I'd send this to you directly; but, your sig didn't come through as
     normal, and with CC:mail (kvetch, kvetch), I can't see anything except
     the list, so to the list this goes...

     Note that your logfile names are all different.  This is because they
     include the PID of the process which creates them, and, the effect is
     that setting version limits won't do anything for you.

     The logfiles contain an astoundingly small amount of gobbledygook, so
     your sysmgr is obviously fairly good about keeping a small sylogin, or
     has set noverify set early on.  You may want to suggest that s/he put
     SET NOVERIFY as the first line of sylogin.  Similarly, you may want to
     SET NOVERIFY as the first line of your login.com.

     Next thing I would suggest is that you create a batch file to delete
     all the .LOG and .COM files after X amount of time.  This can be of
     the following syntax:

$ set def <YOUR DIRECTORY>
$ del/bef=yes tns*out.log
$ del/bef=yes tns*.com
$ subm/aft=tom <NAME OF THIS FILE>
Please, bear in mind that it has been several years since I've been in VMSland, and test this before you put it into production! Best for 1996! Bambi.