Re: tnsping fails, yet sqlplus connects

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2006 15:01:17 -0700

Lars Tetzlaff wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > C:\>tnsping epspd
> >
> > TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on
> > 29-JUN-2
> > 006 09:10:21
> >
> > Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
> >
> > Used parameter files:
> >
> As the output shows, tnsping doesn't find or use any parameter file, so
> your entry in TNSNAMES isn't used.
> In Oracle 10 you can connect to a db without a tnsnames.ora (don't
> remember the name of the new connection method) with an URL-like name
> (//10.xxx.xxx.xxx/EPSPD in your case). sqlplus seems to
> try to add localhost to a name, whenever the name couldn't be resolved,
> tnsping doesn't!

Need the port number after the host.

Easy Connect variant of the hostnaming method: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/naming.htm#i498306

(Thank you Lars, I had forgotten about it and just this morning had to fix a goofed up odbc install, one never knows how helpful an offhand comment can be on usenet!)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.aclu.org/privacy/25551res20060512.html