Re: Migrating from Oracle to Derby

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:50:44 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Oracle is commercially viable so I wouldn't hold my breath. Informix
> on-the-other-hand is dying of neglect and DB2 will be the next to dry
> up and blow away (excluding AS400 and mainframe).

Not unless Oracle lowers their licensing cost it won't. That's the main thing keeping DB2 around. A company I used to work for switched to DB2 because it would cost them $1m to license oracle for all their projects and licensing DB2 on the same hardware for the same # of users was about $150k. Received on Tue Jun 13 2006 - 10:50:44 CDT