10g ASM Pros and Cons

From: Michael42 <melliott42_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2006 16:37:34 -0800

Hello All,

Are any of you using Oracle 10g's ASM on a production system and if so what are you finding to be the pros and cons?

To me it looks like a software based SAN for Oracle files. I have systems that already have a high speed physical SAN and I am not convinced there is anything to gain in using ASM.

If ASM is a trend of the future I'd like to understand what it's benefits are. On the other hand, if others are finding it nothing more than sales fluff that good hardware instantly cures I'd like to know that too.

Also, it seems if you ever need to create a Standby DB\DataGuard, Transportable tablespaces, clone a database and the like there will be MANY more moving parts to account for but I could have this very wrong.

Thanks for your advice,

-Michael42 Received on Fri Mar 31 2006 - 18:37:34 CST