Re: Migrate with exp + imp

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:44:12 +0200

Tom Breed wrote:
> Migrate Oracle 8.1.7.4 database to 9.2.0.6 on HPUX 11.00 (PA-RISC)
> We're told to export de '8' database with the user SYS. Till now
> we've always exported our databases by the user system. The reason
> for this should be that partitioned tables will not be exported
> correctly (??)
> I have done several searches on Metalink, but I can't find anything
> about this. Anyone ?
> Thanks
> Tom Breed

SYS owns the data dictionary - there is a chance you add objects, or -worse- add to existing internal tables, change procedures, etc...

I would *never* advise to do exports as SYS. There is a point of concern: grants given by SYS will not be exported; better check on those, and create a script to grant them again in your 9.2 environment

But surely, you will have a test run? SYS errors should show up, if anything from my horror scenario would happen.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...