Re: Different OS versions between Test and Prod

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:10:26 +0200

"Dave" <david.best_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143669554.197833.80550_at_j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> Question... our architect's are trying to push us to install Solaris
> 10 on our new dev/test boxes instead of 8, which is our production
> version. There are currently no plans to upgrade prod to Solaris 10.
> With the hardware we ordered there are no issues with installing
> Solaris 8. I've been resisting because I don't want to support an
> environment where the OSes are out of sync. While I agree that the
> risk is probably minimal I want a plan in place to upgrade prod before
> I signoff on test.
>
> Am I being anal? I've talked to other DBA's and they agree with me,
> but to make my problem a bit more difficult, a DBA in my group has
> already let this happen in one of their environments.
>
> tnx.

Well,
How can you test something properly when the OS is different between dev/test and production ? I don't know that much about Solaris, but version 8 versus version 10 seems like a big leap for me. You also have the risk that developers start using new features that don't exist in the older Solaris version. But, you can't keep Solaris 8 forever, can you ? Is Solaris 8 still supported by Sun ?

Matthias Received on Wed Mar 29 2006 - 16:10:26 CST