Re: Create database link from inside a stored procedure

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:07:45 -0800

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <vr7j22l5b5n84r0jq35bp3sk35klro33sq_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker
> says...

>> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:02:56 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As long as you said "test environment" I have no reason why you
>>> shouldn't engage in this activity.
>> I would have reason to. Likely this mess when tested would end up in
>> the same fashion in production.
>>

> Please explain why it is in your opinion a "mess" and the reasons why
> this should not be permitted near a production environment?

Sybrand's instincts were far better than mine.

If moved to production it will combine the worst aspects of lack of scalability, lack of performance, and bad practices all in one.

Creating ANY database object such as a temp table or view or for that matter a database link with PL/SQL is one of the worst things I can think of doing in a production database.

If you don't understand why then you need to read the huge amount of documentation on this both in these usenet groups and pick up a copy of each and every one of Tom Kyte's books and read them cover-to-cover.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org