Re: Multiple Oracle 9i Listeners on Win2k3 and Timezones...

From: Robert Klemme <bob.news_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:43:14 +0200

Dave wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get 2 listeners working on the same machine, each using
> a different timezone. I know this can be done on Linux/Unix boxes but
> I can't seem to get it to stick on a Win2003 machine. I want my
> original listener (port 1521) to use EST time and my other listener
> (port 1525) to use PST.
>
> If I set my windows timezone to PST and start my second listener, it
> gives me the right time (in PST) when connecting from my client
> machine. When I go to switch the timezone back to EST on my server,
> the listener seems to pick up the new timezone and when I query again
> (in the same sql session), I get the time on EST again.
>
> Is this a limitation of Oracle Server on Windows or is there some
> trick?

Hm, might be related to Windows as such settings are managed differently than on *nix boxes.

What are you trying to achieve with this? I've never heard that someone sets up two listeners to switch timezones, but then again I may be just ignorant. Did you consider using SESSION_TIMEZONE to switch timezones of sessions?

Kind regards

        robert Received on Wed Mar 29 2006 - 13:43:14 CST