Re: Create database link from inside a stored procedure

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:42:13 +0200

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <1143637292.252641.3170_at_g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, gazzag
> says...

>> Jeremy wrote:
>>> So the DDL part is creating a
>>> database link only - a link that is required solely for the duration of
>>> the transaction.
>> So you're hard-coding passwords within the application?
>>

> No. The user (who has the highest privilege available within the app)
> provides the connection criteria by typing the relvant values into form
> fields: username/password/connectstring
>
> Now that you have all the information, if your opinion remains
> unmodified, I'd be very grateful to understand the nature of the
> objections to the approach adopted.

Because it is considered A Bad Idea (tm) to create (semi-) permanent objects "on the fly" .

What I am wondering:
- how does the user *know* the connectstring? It's server side   tnsnames being used here!
- how are you going to cope with all possible errors?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...