Re: Article about Oracle10.2 and FC5 on ORACLE-BASE is misleading

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 02:09:49 GMT

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:06:31 -0800, Bart the bear wrote:

> Look instead on OTN and on this group. OTN Forums for Linux and
> Installation have
> some good descriptions of the problem.

Well, as an author of one of those technical descriptions, here it is:

Registered: 3/28/99

        Re: Oracle 10g R2 on FC5; ORA-12157 error on installation Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:42 AM in response to: mgogala in response to: mgogala

          Click to reply to this thread Reply

The problem is in Linux threads: the new GLIBC 2.4.4-4 doesn't have Linux Threads: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-July/msg00217.html FC5 replaced it with the new thread library implementation called "NPTL". As a result, applications which try to use the old threading methods will experience "failure to communicate" expressed, of course, as 12157.

One possible solution is here:
http://lists.matureasskickers.net/pipermail/t2servers/2006-March/000181.html

Oracle Corp. is probably recompiling its software with new NPTL library and gcc-4.1 as we speak but it will probably not appear until RH EL5 (FC5 is a "testing ground" for RH EL5). So, you should either downgrade to FC4 or something like CentOS or wait until Oracle for RH EL5 hits the road. Personally, I'm downloading CentOS and swearing at Red Hat. You can nail your NIC to a wall, it wan't change a thing. The problem is in the new GLIBC.
I will, however, keep trying to hack the present installation until the weekend. Any news will be promptly reported.

Since then, I downloaded an earlier glibc and unpacked it first in a separate directory and, after that, in $ORACLE_HOME/lib/i686. It didn't work.
Basically, FC5 intentionally broke the compatibility with the old code, without telling anybody, just to get users to go to FC5. I will switch from FC5 to CentOS. This is the way to have a supported version of Oracle and inflict the maximal damage on Red Hat. Not only will I not be a free tester for their product, I will use the enterprise version for free. That is the minimum that I can do after what Red Hat has put me through.

$ md5sum -c md5sum.dvd.asc
CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso: OK

It accepts any rpm for RH EL4 and will do just fine. What annoys me the most is the way Red Hat has done it: no application testing, no announcements, nothing. FC5 was designed as a trap waiting for the innocent "testers" to fall into it. All the features that are in FC5 now will be in RH EL5 in 6 months and, consequently, in the next CentOS clone. After this experience with FC5, my advice for anybody who would use Fedora for Oracle server is to reconsider. You will be an unpaid tester for the vendor who doesn't even value enough to warn you about the problem. As for the article mentioned in the beginning of the thread, I read it before downloading FC5 and was convinced that everything will be OK. The article is seriously misleading and should be withdrawn with an apology to all those who lost some serious time believing into claims made by the author. A week of FC5 actually being in the wild was more then enough for the author to re-test and correct his claims. When this wasn't done, warning on this group is completely in order. Nobody else needs to lose sleep over @#$%! Fedora Core 5.

--
http://www.mgogala.com