FC5 and Oracle 10g

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:42:51 GMT

Oracle installation on FC5 succeeds but the database creation fails. I tried every trick in the book: using "compat" compiler, setting LANG to en_US, LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.19, (this has disastrous consequences and nothing works), even hacking gennttab, but absolutely nothing worked, I always got the same error:

$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Mar 27 18:05:44 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-12157: TNS:internal network communication error

Enter user-name:
$ oerr ora 12157
12157, 00000, "TNS:internal network communication error"

// *Cause:  Internal error during network communication.
// *Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
// on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact
// Worldwide Customer Support.

$
Of course, customer support will tell me that FC5 is not supported and to tell them if I come up with something.

Even when switching from FC3 with executable linked on FC3, it didn't work. I'll wait for a week and then I'll put FC3 back. I looked through 1-off patches, but nothing so far. What an enormous pain!

I believe that this is the problem:

[root_at_medo bin]# g++ --version

g++ (GCC) 4.1.0 20060304 (Red Hat 4.1.0-3) Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[root_at_medo bin]# gcc --version

gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 20060304 (Red Hat 4.1.0-3) Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

New compiler and new glibc almost guarantee that nothing will work for foreseeable future. As I've said before, I'll be gathering OS patches and looking on Metalink, but I don't expect a miracle anytime soon.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com

--