Re: Database Restore

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:51:38 GMT

G-Diddy wrote:
> The version of Oracle, 9.2 I believe, came with a product from E-Trade
> called "Equity Edge". We have no support contract with Oracle. This
> is also something I inherited as I would have nightly backups in the
> least if I had planned it myself.
>
> Is there any way to obtain this "data unloader" tool?

Did e-trade set this up for you? If so maybe they will provide support. That would be my first course of action.

Having said that, I'm not convinced yet that your database is unrecoverable. When you installed oracle, did you create the starter database with the dbca (database creation assistant)? If so, *and if* the database is in archived log mode, *and if* you have never purged the logs, you should be able to recover. I never use the starter database, but IIRC the dbca just untars or unzips the original datafiles from some type of archive file. You could get the original system01.dbf file out of that archive, replace your current one with it, and recover using the logs.

Please note - only attempt this if *all* of the following are true.

  1. The db is in archived log mode.
  2. You have *all* archived logs since the creation of the database.

I would also backup up *everything* with the database down first before trying this.

You can determine if the db is in archived log mode with this query. SELECT log_mode FROM v$database;

If it returns "ARCHIVELOG" you are in archived log mode. If it returns "NOARCHIVELOG" you're not. Received on Wed Mar 22 2006 - 15:51:38 CST