Re: Oracle License Control and Management

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:55:44 GMT

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:20:55 -0800, mleal wrote:

> Hans,
>
> GREAT!. I got your point of view. Pretty good. Was better than mine.
>
> One more question: Have you seen it working or a software to do that,
> as a multiplexer?

Yes. You still count heads.

> My solution was: Export all users from applications, on each database,
> and then match them with HR system. If it is a valid user I will count
> a license. At the end of year I could tell Oracle if I need or not more
> licenses.

Why not - negotiate that as a reporting mechanism with Oracle and they might go for it.

> But your idea seems simpler and better.

I know a number of organizations that simply get a license per employee for all employees for 'n' machines - this sort of site license often alllows negotiating good discounts. Every 6 months or every year, they simply provide a new 'total employees and contractors' count and - if necessary - pay the new fee.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com