Re: Oracle License Control and Management

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:58:19 GMT

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:49:41 -0800, mleal wrote:

> Today many applications (SAP, SIEBEL, MANUGISTICS, PEOPLESOFT, and so
> on) does not have a client direct access to connect to the database.
> They use an Application Server that has only one connection to the
> database and the users get connected to this application server.

Very simply put, the application server becomes a multiplexing agent. Oracle's license model is, and has been since 1999, explicit on multiplexing. Oracle has not licensed by 'connection' in ages.

Bottom line - you inject a connection pool or multiplexer, you become responsible for counting the users in front of the connection pool or multiplexer. They are still users.

If you don't want to count, use the CPU model.

All discussed in the papers and documents at http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/index.html

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com