Re: VB.Net connection to Oracle 10G database

From: Dave Baker <newsgroup_poster_at_jodael.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:44:09 +0800

On 21 Mar 2006 00:30:11 -0800, "frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>add a where clause to your query:
>SELECT sid, serial#, client_identifier, service_name, action, module
>FROM
>V$SESSION where type='USER'
>
>That will only show user sessions, not the background (Oracle system)
>sessions, too.

Ok, that worked, but didn't have anything useful in it. I'm a bit confused about the service_name column in that information.

>As for your service_name, try:
>select * from global_name;

However, this hit the jackpot - my service_name is "XE". And now I can make my VB.Net connection so I'm further down the track.

>Try whatever that delivers for a service_name in your tnsnames.ora

Still hoping not to have to use tnsnames.ora if I can get away without it.

Thanks for the help - I'm not sure I would have found that "select * from global_name" without another day or more of poking around! :-)

Dave Received on Tue Mar 21 2006 - 02:44:09 CST