Re: Best way to learn Oracle?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:47:09 -0600

On 2006-03-13, Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote:

> jonathan.conway_at_gmail.com wrote:
>> G'day folks!
>>
>> I've been in I.T. for a while, but web development isn't so lucrative
>> nowadays.
>>
>> I'm very interested in learning Oracle as well as doing some Oracle
>> exams.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as books, websites,
>> etc.? Based on your own experience learning Oracle?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> JAC
>
> You may be confused at this point by the posts talking about dba.
> Don't even bother doing the dba route, you want to follow the
> development advice (like from Mark, hpuxrac and Noons). I think there
> is a growing market for those who know both Oracle development and web
> development stuff. This newsgroup is dba-centric.

        Every company seems to have a different idea on what constitutes a DBA. It is not unusual for DBAs to have development duties or to be former developers. It can be very handy to understand what you're end users are doing and why. It is better not to buy into a narrow definition of DBA. Having broader expertise tends to make the job more interesting and you more employable. You are also in a better position to interact with people that may have ownership of things that effect database performance or reliability.

[deletia]

--

It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

        They brought us the email virus.

	In my Atari days, such a notion would have             |||
	been considered a complete absurdity.                 / | \

                http://www.usenet.com