Re: database migration

From: Daud <daud11_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2006 00:37:03 -0800

DB size: 200-250Gb
Archivelog mode
redo generation - 25Gb a day
enterprise edition (8.1.7.3)
the servers are on lan (gigabit probably) read only tablespace - 0
Downtime: minimum ... maybe a 2-4 hours.

Can I just install oracle on the new server and patch it to 8.1.7.3 and do a filecopy from old to new and startup oracle? Will it work since the o/s version is different. The old server is running hpux 11.0 but the new server will have 11i. On top of that we are trying to migrate the storage from EMC to EVA. I am trying to find out now from the unix admin whether the filesystem type on the new server is going to be the same as the old one.
I have done the migration between servers of the same o/s version before that is easy.

Daud Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 02:37:03 CST