Re: New user / DBA

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2005 06:05:07 -0800

jay wrote:
> I'm a brand new oracle user and I suppose a DBA. I have installed
> Personal Oracle on a lap top in support of using Artemis Project
View.
> The lap top is running XP Pro

Ok but you are using the term DBA rather loosely here. DBA is not equivalent to Oracle user. Difference is few years of experience and sleepless nights. Don't know about Artemis.

> I have my hard drive partitioned. I normally keep my software and
data
> on separate drives. I tried to install Oracle on the data drive
> because I was told the database had to be where the data was.

Oracle software part is separate from Oracle database datafiles. You use Oracle software to create a database, which consists of datafiles/controlfiles/logs etc, but a database needs Oracle software to run. They can exist on the same drive/directory in your case i.e. a laptop but they are generally on separate drives in a production system on a server.

> When I did the install I chose the 'install software only' option.
>
> I have a lot of files on my data drive and a folder on my C:
(software
> drive) program folder for Oracle.

Oracle is not a small software that you download in 2 minutes, install in 1 minute and you are up and running.

> I would like to nest (segregate)the Oracle files on my data drive a
> little deeper...into another folder. Can I just create a folder and
> move the files or do I have to reinstall oracle into the new
location?

You cannot just move the installed software to a different drive. Oracle is not one stand alone executable that you can move around at will. There are references in the registry and other places pointing to the installed location. You should have thought about it before installation. Your only option is to uninstall and then reinstall.

> Should I have installed the standard database instead of just the
> software?

It depends if you need it or not... but reading your comments above... yes. You would have had a prebuilt database that you can kick around and make yourself familiar with Oracle.

> Can anyone recommend a good book on being an Oracle DBA for a
"DUMMY"?

> Can anyone recommend a good training program that is reasonable?
>
> Any help will be appreciated. Thank You

Others have pointed out links and books that you can reference.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Thu Feb 24 2005 - 08:05:07 CST