Re: LARGE tables and MVIEWs.....

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:33:54 +0100

oracle _ man_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a large table in prod(47+million rows, 11GB size), that I need
> to replicate to the warehouse. I exported from prod, and imported to
> the warehouse. Then created a materialized view "on existing table" in
> the warehouse. Between export,imnport and MVIEW create, more records
> are constantly being added to prod. What is the best way to synch?

To start with, I have never done it with tables this large, but the principle should stay the same (and is documented in the replication manual under 'Offline Instantiation'). Beware of bugs, though...(versions help, you know... hint, hint) Made me butt out, and go back to online instantiation.

You need to set up your replication first; you probably want fast snapshot replication, so it includes snapshot log table(s) on the master site.
Then you halt (quisce) replication, exp, imp, create snapshot, and restart replication.
Records added in the mean time should be in the snapshot log table, and be the only ones to be replicated. snapshot == materialized view

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel