Re: CBO: statistics collection

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2005 14:48:20 -0800

At the risk of trolling, http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_otn_cbo_p4.htm

http://www.ixora.com.au/scripts/query_opt.htm#consider_histogram

There've been discussions here and there about not generating estimated stats every day, to avoid the problem you experienced. If you know better than the CBO... why not get full stats less often and lock them down?

I disagree with the "when there are complaints" reactive style of tuning. There are enough things to go wrong without additional things that can be avoided by proper proactive administration. The trick is to get management to let you administer "properly" without subjecting anyone to compulsive tuning disorder. I haven't figured out any magic to reliably perform that trick.

http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/12-2004/msg01218.html

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What was true in the past may not be true in the future.