Re: How to use OEM to monitor linux boxes without Oracle database

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:40:47 GMT

m.fangtao_at_genesis.co.nz wrote:

> Thanks Mark, Could you please tell me some free GUI tools to monitor
> linux box? Big Brother is not free! It'll save money for us if we can
> use grid control to monitor Linux boxes, because we'll buy Oracle 10g(
> if grid control is included in the package).
> David

Nor is Oracle free. Please check the licensing issues for Oracle grid control under your scenario and let us know.

It comes down to value....what do you need, what do you pay per unit (whatever you define a unit to be -- that is the hard part).

If the main reason you would buy Oracle 10g is for grid control, then please don't tell the marketing people! ;-)

Even if you do use Oracle EM agents to monitor your non-database machines, it is still a good idea to have a second monitoring tool (otherwise, OEM is a single point of failure in your monitoring system).

-Mark Bole Received on Mon Feb 21 2005 - 20:40:47 CST