Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:52:52 -0500

Noons wrote:
> The last paper quoted is simply a sad joke. What was that about
> someone at IBM "inventing" rollback and rollforward recovery "for
> databases" in mid 80s?
> I guess the rb/rf recovery in DMS1100, DL/1, IMS, etcetc, (since
> around 1975 that I know of) was what? A figment of IT's collective
> imagination? The amount of crap that comes out of IBM marketing
> these days is mind-blowing...

Wew, think of the article what you want, but I don't think there is anyone reading or posting in this newsgroup who can throw dirt on Mohan: http://www.almaden.ibm.com/u/mohan/ARIES_Impact.html I'm by no means qualified to dissect the differences of recovery pre-ARIES to those using ARIES (I'm just an egg that cannot grok) , but I doubt "crap" gets you into this crowd: http://www.sigmod.org/sigmodinfo/awards/

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau