Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:26:22 +1100

hpuxrac apparently said,on my timestamp of 20/02/2005 1:20 AM:

> All this protection doesn't come free.

You mean when IBM finally comes around to make UDB do the same it won't be for free? Shame on them!
Just joking. Absolutely right: it doesn't. One either is willing to pay the price or not. Simple as that. All we differ on is what we think is included in the price.

> Your claims about 0 seconds, no impact, all the data, all the time ...
> not exactly.

My claim is that IBM is dead wrong in their (dis)information about how long it takes to recover. Their claims are the wild ones. Having said that I have yet to lose any data with RAC, although we had some very unstable moments initially.

The last paper quoted is simply a sad joke. What was that about someone at IBM "inventing" rollback and rollforward recovery "for databases" in mid 80s?
I guess the rb/rf recovery in DMS1100, DL/1, IMS, etcetc, (since around 1975 that I know of) was what? A figment of IT's collective imagination? The amount of crap that comes out of IBM marketing these days is mind-blowing...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto